MEG TEACertified Organic Tea from Meghalaya
The Story of Tea in Meghalaya
When prospectors sent by the East India Company explored the country for potential tea growing, Meghalaya too was considered an option. But the Khasi ruler of the time refused to allow migrant labour to be brought in. As Tea was a labor-intensive commodity, the insufficient local labor available at that time made it impossible for Tea Plantation in Meghalaya.
MEG TEA been commended by renowned tea makers to be of very high quality.
Encouraged by the potential of Tea Cultivation in the State, the Meghalaya Agriculture Department launched MEG TEA in the year 2014. Their tea is organic certified, and the Tea Plantations & Processing Units (factories) are located in Umsning and Upper Shillong. Meg Tea is one of the highest suppliers of Black tea, Green tea, and Oolong tea from Meghalaya.
The present position of tea plantation in the State, has grown by leaps and bounds, where; in terms of the statistics the total acreage now, has increased to more than 2000 Hectare with over 1500 small growers and some Private Gardens now produce CTC and Orthodox variety Tea of good quality.
What Makes MEG TEA Special?
Meghalaya’s landscape, altitude, and climatic condition makes it a perfect place to produce high-quality highland tea.
- MEG TEA is grown at elevations of over 1,500 m (4,900 ft) above sea level at the Umsning and Upper Shillong Farm. Most high-quality teas are cultivated at this or above this elevation. MEG TEA from Upper Shillong is an excellent quality highland tea that grows at the higher altitude of 3000 to 5,500 feet.
- The tea plantations areas are on virgin, pristine land. Traditional methods of farming are employed with no use of pesticides and the use of organic composts and fertilizers. The tea gardens of MEG TEA also organic certified.
- The age of the tea plant is younger compared to Assam or Darjeeling, which is also one of the reasons for its superior quality.
- The MEG TEA gardens are smaller compared to Assam or West Bengal. The tea processing unit is set up in a very short distance from the tea garden. This makes it possible to process high quality green tea.
- MEG TEA follows the philosophy of LOW VOLUME HIGH QUALITY Tea Production.
Why Choose Orthodox MEG TEA?
Which MEG TEA is For You?
OOLONG TEA is lighter than the black tea, without losing its punch and robustness. It also has unusual citrus and spicy undertones. The Oolong Tea produced by MEG TEA is special as it emits a unique aroma and flavor giving you the best and unique taste.
ORTHODOX GREEN TEA is handpicked from the tea gardens. The high altitude and traditional method of cultivation allow the plant to bear more shoots with supple leaves, which further escalates its quality. In addition, the perfect union of soil, climate, average temperature, and rainfall adds to its specialty and unique taste. Green Tea picked from Umsning has a fruity flavor and delicate, yet complex character. Green Tea picked from the Upper Shillong Farm is known for its layered flavors, smooth texture, and complex taste.